Computer Facilities - Computer Room FAQ
As from August 2000, the Computer Room has been re-equipped
with new machines and integrated into the University PWF (Personal
Workstation Facility). The old FAQ list has therefore been withdrawn,
as it was mostly no longer relevant. A full set of PWF documentation
has been supplied in the Computer Room.
A few points of relevance remain:
- Online information about the PWF can be found at http://www.cam.ac.uk/localusersonly/cs/pwf/
- The password you need to start using the new PCs or Macs
is your PWF Password, which you were given when you joined
the college. You do not use your Hermes e-mail password
to log in to the PWF. If you have forgotten your PWF Password,
the Computer Officer (Andy Eddy in Essec 3C) can reset it for
you. You will need to bring evidence of identity, to get a new
PWF password issued to you.
- When logging on to the PCs, please wait until the Message
of the Day appears before trying to launch any PWF applications.
Configuration of the machine is not complete until that message
appears. When you have read the Message of the Day, you can close
that window. Then click on Start and select PWF Programs
- Queens' will continue with its policy of providing free printing,
- the users provide their own paper to load into the printers;
- the service is not abused. The free printing service is provided
only for single copies of material relevant to your academic
study or the administration of college clubs. If you want multiple
copies, please print a single copy and then use a photocopier.
- printer paper usage is now being logged against your userid,
even though no charges are being made.
- Access to the old file-server is still possible from the
Macs only. Pull down the Apple menu, select Old Queens' server
and log in with your old Queens' password. It is suggested that
you copy all files that you need from the Queens' server to your
personal directory on the PWF filestore, as the old Queens' file-server
will eventually be retired. Freshers from 2000 onwards will not
be provided with passwords for the old Queens' server.
- Societies and clubs who want a group file-space will need
to apply to the Computing Service for a group filespace allocation.
- Remote access by FTP to your personal directory in the the
PWF filestore is possible by asking your browser to go to the
URL ftp://email@example.com where you replace
"userid" with your PWF userid. The browser will prompt
you for your PWF password.
- Remote access by FTP to club and society files in the PWF
filestore is possible by asking your browser to go to the URL
ftp://firstname.lastname@example.org where you replace "userid"
with your PWF userid. The browser will prompt you for your PWF
Return to Computer Facilities