Cambridge Colleges
 Foundation Dates


1284
Peterhouse (formerly sometimes St Peter's College)
1317
King's Hall, refounded 1337, absorbed into Trinity College 1546.
1321
University Hall, refounded 1326 as Clare Hall.
1324
Michaelhouse, absorbed into Trinity College 1546.
1326
Clare Hall, later known as Clare College.
1347
Pembroke Hall, later known as Pembroke College.
1348
Gonville Hall, refounded 1351, refounded 1557 as Gonville and Caius College.
1350
Trinity Hall
1352
Corpus Christi College (formerly known as St Bene't's, or Benet College).
1428
Buckingham College, refounded 1542 as Magdalene College.
1439
Godshouse, refounded 1505 as Christ's College.
1441
King's College
1446
St Bernard's College, refounded 1447, refounded 1448 as Queen's College.
1448
Queen's College, refounded 1465, known as Queens' College from ca 1831.
1473
Catharine Hall, known as St Catharine's College from 1860.
1496
Jesus College.
1505
Christ's College, incorporating Godshouse (1439).
1511
St John's College.
1542
Magdalene College, incorporating Buckingham College (1428).
1546
Trinity College, incorporating King's Hall (1317), Michaelhouse (1324) and expropriating Physwick Hostel (1393) from Gonville Hall.
1584
Emmanuel College.
1596
Sidney Sussex College.
1800
Downing College.
1869
College for Women, Benslow House, Hitchin. Moved to Cambridge as Girton College 1873, charter 1924, full College status 1948.
1871
Newnham College, charter 1917, full College status 1948.
1873
County College, later Cavendish College. Closed for lack of funds 1892. Premises occupied by Homerton College 1894.
1882
Selwyn Hostel, status of Public Hostel 1883, known as Selwyn College 1923, Approved Foundation 1926, full College status 1958.
1884
Ayerst Hostel. Closed for lack of funds 1896. Premises occupied by St Edmund's House 1896.
1885
Cambridge Training College for Women, later known as Hughes Hall, Recognised Institution of the University 1949, Approved Society 1968, Approved Foundation 1985.
1892
Fitzwilliam Hall, housing non-collegiate students, known as Fitzwilliam House 1924, full College status as Fitzwilliam College 1966.
1894
Homerton College moved to Cambridge (formerly in London from 1822) as a teacher training college, occupying the premises of the failed hostel Cavendish College (1873). Recognised by the University as an Approved Society 1977.
1896
St Edmund's House (Roman Catholic training college, recognised by the Lodging Houses Syndicate as a House of Residence), occupying the premises of the failed Ayerst Hostel (1884). Recognised by the University as an Approved Society 1965, Approved Foundation 1975, known as St Edmund's College from 1985, full College status 1996(?)
1954
New Hall, as a Recognised Institution of the University, Approved Foundation 1965, full College status 1972.
1960
Churchill College, full College status 1966.
1964
Darwin College, Approved Foundation 1965, full College status 1976.
1965
Lucy Cavendish College, as Approved Society, Approved Foundation 1984, full College status 1997.
1965
University College, as Approved Foundation, known as Wolfson College 1973, full College status 1977.
1966
Clare Hall, as Approved Foundation, full College status 1984.
1977
Robinson College, as Approved Foundation, full College status 1984.


The following institutions are not constituents of the University of Cambridge, but work closely with it. They are all colleges training for ordination, known collectively as the Cambridge Theological Federation. They are recognised as Houses of Residence for the purposes of satisfying the residence requirements of University courses.

1877
Ridley Hall [Anglican].
1881
Cambridge Clergy Training School [Anglican], known as Westcott House from 1901, charter 1960.
1897
Westminster College [Presbyterian, now United Reformed] moved to Cambridge (founded 1844 in London). Joined the Federation in 1976.
1905
Cheshunt College [primarily but not exclusively Congregational] moved to Cambridge (formerly Trevecca College 1768-1791 in Breconshire, moved to Cheshunt in Hertfordshire1792). First at Cintra House, Hills Road. Buildings at Bateman Street started 1913. Merged with Westminster College in 1965, upon the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches as the United Reformed Church. Premises now occupied by Queen's Marlborough College.
1921
Wesley House [Methodist].
1993
The Margaret Beaufort Institute of Theology [Roman Catholic].
1993?
East Anglian Ministerial Training Course [Ecumenical].
1999
Institute for Orthodox Christian Studies [Orthodox].


This list based partly on A Concise History of the University of Cambridge by Elisabeth Leedham-Green, © Cambridge University Press. Additional material by Robin Walker.
Return to Miscellaneous Menu